Sunday, September 9, 2012

Travel Day Benbow to Coos Bay

September 9, 2012

We woke up to a cool brisk but sunny morning.  Everyone was ready to roll out at 8:00 am. With ten rigs we sort of spaced it out a bit and I believe everyone was on the highway by 8:30.  We drove about 170 miles to Brookings, Oregon for lunch.  Most of us squeezed  into this small place for lunch, I will post the name tomorrow because I just don't remember the name tonight.  It was cool in Brookings but the sun was shining.  For miles before we stopped for lunch the ocean views from the highway were just breathtaking.  I love to watch the ocean, if I lived at the ocean, I would be skinny because I could walk that awesome beach for hours. 

 Anyway.....  after lunch we took off for the next leg of our trip.  We followed George as he knew the correct road into the campground.  I have to say and there are more on this trip that agrees with me, this place has to be one of the most difficult to find.  We were happy thinking we would get to camp mid afternoon.  We were not that far from camp when we were stopped, an accident ahead that was closing the road for hours.  Unfortunately it was a motorcycle head on with  a car and a fatality.  We tried to call back to warn the group behind us to stop or turn around but of course there was no cell service.  This is a narrow two lane road and we have three motor homes towing and three fifth wheels out of our group stuck there.  The other four rigs did not get up as far as we did.  There was a little dirt area so we unhooked the cars and backed the motor homes down onto this dirt area, just barely enough room to get everyone turned around.  Bev took off in her car, I could not get in behind her because I was blocked but finally we got everyone turned around to head back to the main highway.  We all have navigation systems that do not work well in this territory, So with so many different directions we just winged it.  When we did turn off to head to the camp up in Coos Bay, somehow I got on a different street and can see motor homes going one direction  then a fifth  wheel going another way, it was almost  like an old Laurel and Hardy movie.  We had our two way radios and I finally got behind Steve.  If I were to say, tempers were short would be an understatement.  We arrived at the campground about 5:00 pm and so glad to finally be able to park.  Two other couples got lost coming in, they were smart and called the office here and stayed on the phone until they got here!!!  WAY TO GO!

After we all got settled in, hooked up etc. we had heavy snacks, I still cannot spell that H word.  We had an amazing variety of food, adult beverages which I participated in tonight.  We hashed over our adventures of the day and ended the evening with several of us walking the beach.  We had four dogs with us, Buddy who belongs to Dave and April was running in the surf and just having a good time, then Gracie who belongs to Butch and Betty was doing her best to keep up with Buddy.  Max, who is with George and Bev was restrained a bit by George but he finally let Max loose to run for awhile.  Jake who belongs to Ed and Dorothy did not get as rambunctious but he had a good time as well.

I have to say that walk on the beach was the best way to end the day, especially this one.  Tomorrow is a free day, and a day to organize some activities for the week.  Everyone is tucked away for the night and I am heading that way myself...

So, until next time......


No comments: