Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Online Life July 16, 2008

Many years ago about 1994, I got my first computer. Ed introduced me to CompuServe the mini internet of that day. Ed was far beyond most people with computers at that time. Anyway, CompuServe was a great service before the Wide World Web. Forums for everything, technical, travel, languages, cooking, general chat, you name it, was part of CompuServe. I wandered into an area called General Chat at that time. Hilarious message boards and great chat and games. Eventually I was asked to be on staff and at that time was an honor as we had to pay for internet time and being staff, they covered my charges for that forum. We added another chat forum, Casual Chat, for those 18 and over, a bit more mature message boards and chat. This has been my online home for almost 15 years and I have met some of the neatest people from all over the world. Over the years with the Wide World Web, CompuServe has shrunk from 600 forums to under 100 now. There are some of us diehard that just won't give up

I have friends as I said from all over the world and we try to get together every few years. From Ireland, Canada , UK and all over the United States, when we gather, it is some of the greatest times. We have met in Canada, Las Vegas, California also several have stayed with me on their visits. Cherished and lasting friendships.

Casual Chat is a great forum, we have message boards from silly to serious, several scheduled chats and games throughout the week and just folks popping in the chat rooms to visit. I am a sysop in the forum and the staff works very well together and we do our best to keep it a safe place for our members. Please stop by sometime and see what is on for discussion or who is chatting.

No comments: